Thursday, December 19, 2013

Flight by Lindsay Leggett

FLIGHT
Author: Lindsay Leggett
Publication Date: 04/01/2013
Published By: Createspace
Audience: New Adult
Genre: Science Fiction, Dystopian, Fantasy, Romance


The first rule of survival in the Underground: When you’re outside, keep your eyes on the skies. Ace Harpy Hunter Piper Madden is used to danger, but the death of her brother slams the brakes on her high-torque lifestyle and leaves her broken and confused.

On the run from the dictating Elder Corporation, she’s eventually found in the quiet undergound city of Ichton and asked to work for the Corp on contract to quell a new and frightening Harpy threat.

Enter the discovery of horrifying Corporation secrets, Harpy attacks, and a new friendship with the strange Asher, and Piper’s days become anything but boring.

Then, a chance encounter leaves Piper privy to a dangerous secret, ad as she and Asher team up in an effort to unravel the truth, the secrets they uncover beneath the ancient walls of the dead city will spark their world into a grand-scale war.

Picture and Summary from Goodreads
 
 
 
REVIEW
 
Flight takes place in a world polluted and unlivable due to radiation.  Humans are living underground, or if they are made of money, in zones where the air is clean.  Our MC is Piper Madden, she was born with a type of blood/gene that only Hunters have.  Hunters are given the job to track down Harpies and kill them.  Harpies are creatures who have evolved over the years and feed on humans.
  
The story starts off with the Prologue telling us that Piper and her love interest, Asher, are trapped in a burning room.  We don't know what's going on other than they've been given something that will cause them to forget each other and they know it's happening.  When chapter one begins it's clear that Piper has no memory of Asher, even when she runs into him on the street they have no memories of each other.  The rest of the time we spend playing catch up  with Piper as she's given one crazy revelation after another.  Nothing is as it seems!
 
I have to admit the book started off a little confusing and slow for me but by halfway through I had found my groove and rolled right on through to the end. I had never read a book about Harpies so the idea was original to me and I thought Lindsay did a good job of developing them.  The characters are well developed and their interactions come across as believable. Asher is smoking hot and has the whole bad boy exterior with a mushy sensitive center.  You can feel the chemistry between him and Piper and it kills me that no one will leave them alone so they can be with each other!
 
Although I liked the book there was some stuff that bothered me.  I didn't really know until the end of the book whether it was taking place in the present or in the past.  At the end of the prologue Piper makes it seem like she's going to start telling us the story from the beginning (meaning before the fire and what led up to them being there) but as I continued reading there were things that made me think it was happening in the present.  Then there was the whole fact that Piper knew she couldn't remember things from before her brothers death, but she NEVER questioned it!  I mean we don't even realize that she doesn't remember anything until about halfway through the book.  When she admits her lack of memory that's when things start to really roll and she starts to suspect something isn't right.
 
Overall though the book was a good read and I have high hopes for the second installment.


 
 
 
 

THE AUTHOR

-Lindsay Leggett-
Nearly every writer struggles to put together information about themselves, perhaps because we’re so used to detailing the lives and ways of others. For the most part I am a writer, editor, photographer, and all-around artist living in the wilds north of Toronto, Ontario. I thrive on the juxtaposition of beauty and grit, enjoy urban crawls, indie everything, and time well-spent in the woods.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

2 comments:

  1. I've only read one book about harpies, and It was alright, but it's not my favourite, though maybe it was just that one? Probably, I'll have to try another one. It seems there's a mix with this one, but the whole not knowing what pretence you're in would annoy me, too. The whole thing which I know when I'm going to enjoy a book is the interactions with the characters, I can never get into it if they sound forced, or that there's just...nothing there, which seems not to be the case with it. Great review, glad you semi-enjoyed this one. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's Discuss. Leave Your Opinions Here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...