Friday, December 6, 2013

Unite by Jamie Campbell

UNITE
PROJECT INTEGRATE #1
Author: Jamie Campbell
Publication Date: 12/03/2013
Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Science Fiction
 
United They Stand.

Seventeen years ago an entire generation of aliens were sent to Earth in order to save their home planet and integrate into the human population. Now, those aliens are being hunted.

Amery Jones is your typical teenager, except for the fact she is an alien and a member of the government’s secret Project Integrate.

When Amery’s best friend Lola is kidnapped in order to get to her, there is only one person that can help – the exceedingly annoying and charming Lochie Mercury.

Together, Amery and Lochie must put aside their differences and attraction in order to rescue Lola before it’s too late.
 
Picture and Summary from Goodreads
 
 
** I received this as an eARC through Netgalley from the publisher in exchange for a review.  In no way does that effect the thoughts and opinions expressed here.  I did not receive compensation in any way for this review.**
 
 
 
REVIEW
 
Hmm.  Well.  That was disappointing.
 
I had such high hopes for this book only to have it fall flatter than flat.  Don't get me wrong, it had it's redeeming points but there were some serious issues that truly drove me batty!!
 
First off the MC is being trained for something.  She starts off telling us that she was in a group of babies that were "chosen".  It takes SEVERAL chapters for us to finally find out what exactly it is that she's being prepared for, which seems kinda ridiculous since the synopsis obviously gives the secret away.  So after we find out that Amery has been placed by the FBI among the earthlings I began wondering...why is Amery so unuseful?  I mean she has spent all her life in and out of the FBI headquarters and knowing what her future holds for her you would think she could invest in some self defense classes.  PLUS she's an ALIEN!  Shouldn't she have some kind of superpowers?? (Not really a bad thing, I just wish she had super powers.) When her BFF Lola is kidnapped we really start to see how lacking Amery is.  I mean yeah she does everything she can to save Lola but she kind of goes at it like a chicken without a head.
 
Another thing that drove me CRAZY is Amery's almost obsessive like hatred for Lochie, the boy she has grown up "hating".  You know how some books have insta-love?  Well I'm pretty sure Campbell was so scared of having her characters fall in insta-love that she went in the complete opposite.  Why is Amery so insistent on hating Lochie?!  He seems like such a nice guy who really likes her and only wants to help!  I mean not once did I ever agree with her when she said he was being "so annoying".
 
And to top it off I wanted to knock sense into her hypocritical parents aka HANDLERS.   Towards the beginning of the book her mom witnesses Amery making faces at Lochie (Seriously! She sticks her tongue out at him) at supper that evening they grill her about who he is and how she can't risk him not liking her, everyone NEEDS to like her!  But when she explains who he his they get all worried stating she isn't allowed to date and maybe she should stop being his project partner, better to not have the temptation.  Do you want him to like her or not?!
 
As for those redeeming points.  I really did love Lochie, he seemed like such a sweet guy.  And the alien idea is a great one, I just wish it had been executed a little differently.  The pacing was most definitely fast paced, it only took me a day to finish it.  I think that if Amery were a little more tough I would have liked it a lot more.
 
I finished the book and it was okay but I probably won't read it again, or the next one.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

THE AUTHOR 

 
(Picture and Bio from Goodreads Profile)
 
Jamie was born into a big, crazy family of 6 children. Being the youngest, she always got away with anything and would never shut up. Constantly letting her imagination run wild, her teachers were often frustrated when her ‘What I did on the weekend’ stories contained bunyips and princesses.

Growing up, Jamie did the sensible things and obtained a Bachelor of Business degree from Southern Cross University and worked hard to gain her membership with the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Australia.

Yet nothing compared to writing. Quitting the rat race to spend quality time with her laptop named Lily, Jamie has written several novels and screenplays. Spanning a number of genres and mediums, Jamie writes whatever inspires her from ghost stories to teenage love stories to tantalising murder mysteries. Nothing is off limits.

A self-confessed television addict, dog lover, Taylor Swift fan, and ghost hunter, Jamie loves nothing more than the thrill of sharing her stories.
 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Oh god, "I mean yeah she does everything she can to save Lola but she kind of goes at it like a chicken without a head." Ha! Well, this definitely sounds like I would hate it too, It really is so annoying when a character really hates another character, and you're like "why? proof?" and there is none. Blah. I think I'll skip this one, at least it was quick though, I guess that's something. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's Discuss. Leave Your Opinions Here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...