Tuesday, May 6, 2014

The Deep End Of The Sea by Heather Lyons

THE DEEP END OF THE SEA
Author: Heather Lyons
Publication Date: 02/05/2014
Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Mythology, Romance
 
What if all the legends you’ve learned were wrong?

Brutally attacked by one god and unfairly cursed by another she faithfully served, Medusa has spent the last two thousand years living out her punishment on an enchanted isle in the Aegean Sea. A far cry from the monster legends depict, she’s spent her time educating herself, gardening, and desperately trying to frighten away adventure seekers who occasionally end up, much to her dismay, as statues when they manage to catch her off guard. As time marches on without her, Medusa wishes for nothing more than to be given a second chance at a life stolen away at far too young an age.

But then comes a day when Hermes, one of the few friends she still has and the only deity she trusts, petitions the rest of the gods and goddesses to reverse the curse. Thus begins a journey toward healing and redemption, of reclaiming a life after tragedy, and of just how powerful friendship and love can be—because sometimes, you have to sink in the deep end of the sea before you can rise back up again
 
Picture and Summary From Goodreads
 
 
REVIEW
 
So I totally have a thing for Greek mythology but I really know nothing about it so any chance I get to read a book on it I snatch it up.

The Deep End of the Sea is told from the POV of Medusa. I know enough about the story of Medusa to know that this version of her story was a different take on it and I loved it. I loved the idea of her not really being the monster everyone claimed her to be. I especially loved her friendship/relationship with Hermes, he definitely became Medusa's knight in shining armor (as much as I love a girl who can kick ass I also love when a handsome man swoops in to save the day). The main group of characters that Medusa interacts with are fantastic and I really felt their love for each other. It's the type of family group you want to be a part of.

Throughout the book I had constant feels ranging from sympathy to anger to giddyness. And when I put the book down it was with a contented goofy grin. It was excellently paced but there were a few grammar issues and for some reason my Nook edition had underlined text throughout the entire book but it wasn't bad enough to turn me off of it. All in all I highly recommend it!
 

 
 
Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Discuss. Leave Your Opinions Here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...