Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Bane by Keary Taylor

THE BANE
EDEN #1
Author: Keary Taylor
Publication Date: 03/06/2011
Publisher: Keary Taylor Books
Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Science Fiction, Dystopia
 
Before the Evolution there was TorBane: technology that infused human DNA with cybernetic matter. It had the ability to grow new organs and limbs, to heal the world. Until it evolved out of control and spread like the common cold. The machine took over, the soul vanished, and the Bane were born. The Bane won't stop until every last person has been infected. With less than two percent of the human population left, mankind is on the brink of extinction.

Eve knows the stories of the Evolution, the time before she wandered into the colony of Eden, unable to recall anything but her name. But she doesn't need memories to know this world is her reality. This is a world that is quickly losing its humanity, one Bane at a time.

Fighting to keep one of the last remaining human colonies alive, Eve finds herself torn between her dedication to the colony, and the discovery of love. There is Avian and West – one a soldier, one a keeper of secrets. And in the end, Eve will make a choice that will change the future of mankind.
 
Picture and Summary from Goodreads
 
 
REVIEW

Oh my goodness this book!  I was so confused when searching for this book on Goodreads because it's actually under the name "Eden" evidently it's been revamped into a series since everyone loved it.  I don't know if that means the author wrote more or if it was originally longer and she just split it up.  Also I love the cover of this edition better, very badass!
 
The MC, Eve, is so badass and tough and all "I can take care of myself", I really love a strong female lead.  The only problem I had with her was her confusion over who she loved and really the only reason it bugged me was because I was sure she would choose the wrong one!  I also loved the idea behind the story.  That in our quest for immortality humans built something that ended up taking us over and destroying our world.  This is actually a real fear of mine or really any dystopian setting.  I need to stop reading dystopians...or start doomsday prepping.  The story is told from Eve's POV so we follow her along as she struggles to keep the small community of people who she considers family alive.  Not long after the start of the book three new people stumble upon Eden (the name of the community) one of them being West who has his own secrets, one of which will make Eve rethink her entire being. 
 
The book is full of action, never feeling dull or slow and as I've already stated the romantic tension of "whose she going to choose" really had me turning the pages.  Overall I feel this book was good both for it's action and for it's romance though I feel that it's a little on the heavier side of Romance but I'm okay with that.  I'm pretty excited to pick up the next book!


 
 
 
 
THE AUTHOR
 
Keary Taylor grew up along the foothills of the Rocky Mountains where she started creating imaginary worlds and daring characters who always fell in love. She now resides on a tiny island in the Pacific Northwest with her husband and their two young children. She continues to have an overactive imagination that frequently keeps her up at night. She is the author of THE EDEN TRILOGY, the FALL OF ANGELS trilogy, and WHAT I DIDN'T SAY.
 
 
 
 



3 comments:

  1. nice review. I want to read that book too. Visiting for stacking the shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a good book that is full of action but I think her indecisiveness when it came to romance would bother me just as it did you. Great review, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was looking at that one for ages, I have a copy but still haven't read it yet. It seems interesting though, and I much prefer this cover to the old one, and I can't remember where the author said about changing the cover and name, but I think it was to do with it looking more YA. But anyway, great review! :)

    ReplyDelete

Let's Discuss. Leave Your Opinions Here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...