Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Dare You To by Katie McGarry

DARE YOU TO
Pushing The Limits #2
Author: Katie McGarry
Publication Date: 05/28/2013
Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
 
Ryan lowers his lips to my ear. "Dance with me, Beth."

"No." I whisper the reply. I hate him and I hate myself for wanting him to touch me again....

"I dare you..."


If anyone knew the truth about Beth Risk's home life, they'd send her mother to jail and seventeen-year-old Beth who knows where. So she protects her mom at all costs. Until the day her uncle swoops in and forces Beth to choose between her mom's freedom and her own happiness. That's how Beth finds herself living with an aunt who doesn't want her and going to a school that doesn't understand her. At all. Except for the one guy who shouldn't get her, but does....

Ryan Stone is the town golden boy, a popular baseball star jock-with secrets he can't tell anyone. Not even the friends he shares everything with, including the constant dares to do crazy things. The craziest? Asking out the Skater girl who couldn't be less interested in him.

But what begins as a dare becomes an intense attraction neither Ryan nor Beth expected. Suddenly, the boy with the flawless image risks his dreams-and his life-for the girl he loves, and the girl who won't let anyone get too close is daring herself to want it all....
 
Picture and Summary from Goodreads
 
 
REVIEW
 
It took me FOREVER to read this book!! Life kept interrupting me! But once I was able to sit down and get into the story I could not put the book down. So many feels!

The story is told from the POVs of Beth and Ryan but it was very well done and I had absolutely no problem connecting with both of them (which is usually my big issue with multiple POVs).

They each have their own issues and neither of their families are perfect, the difference is that everyone thinks Ryan's family is perfect. There are some intense situations brought up and I don't mean sexual tension (although there is that too).

Beth's family is messed up. Tangled up in drugs and abusive boyfriends Beth's mom is anything but motherly. Beth's past has really made her tough and scared to trust, lucky for her Ryan comes along. Ryan on the other hand is dealing with a family that is falling apart right before his eyes after his brother Mark let them know who he really is. Ryan's main struggle is with trying to figure out his future, thinking baseball is it and then dealing with the thought that maybe he wants something more.

I'm trying to think of any issues I had with the book but there really wasn't any. Although it would have been great to see some more connection between Beth and Lacy, I felt like their friendship could be epic but it doesn't really get a chance to develop.

I really loved Beth and Ryan together and I really enjoyed reading their story. It was intense and exciting, not once did my mind wander while reading it. I highly recommend Dare You To (you could say I dare you to read it, ha ha, I know not funny..) I can't wait to read more of Katie McGarry's books!!
 
 
 
 
 
Goodreads ~ Amazon ~ Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's Discuss. Leave Your Opinions Here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...