Friday, June 13, 2014

Better Off Friends by Elizabeth Eulberg

BETTER OFF FRIENDS
Author: Elizabeth Eulberg
Publication Date: 02/25/2014
Audience: Young Adult
Genre: Contemporary, Romance
 
For Macallan and Levi, it was friends at first sight. Everyone says guys and girls can’t be just friends, but these two are. They hang out after school, share tons of inside jokes, their families are super close, and Levi even starts dating one of Macallan’s friends. They are platonic and happy that way.

Eventually they realize they’re best friends — which wouldn’t be so bad if they didn’t keep getting in each other’s way. Guys won’t ask Macallan out because they think she’s with Levi, and Levi spends too much time joking around with Macallan, and maybe not enough time with his date. They can’t help but wonder . . . are they more than friends or are they better off without making it even more complicated?

From romantic comedy superstar Elizabeth Eulberg comes a fresh, fun examination of a question for the ages: Can guys and girls ever really be just friends? Or are they always one fight away from not speaking again — and one kiss away from true love?
 
Picture and Summary from Goodreads
 
 
REVIEW
 
 
This book was so cutesy and fun to read.  Ive decided that cute and fluffy are how I prefer my contemporary romance reads.  Not that serious issues deter me but real life has enough issues without me reading about them.  Of course Better Off Friends does have a major issue it is centered around...Do Macallan and Levi belong together as more than just friends?  I was really impressed with how well the author stretched out the story and still kept me guessing as to what would happen in the end.
 
The story is told from both Levi and Macallan's POVs with back and forth commentary in between chapters giving off the feeling that they're telling us their story through their eyes while sitting side by side. I thought that was a pretty great idea and really enjoyed it.
 
The only reason this book is a four instead of a five is because of some formatting issues.  I read this on my NOOK and all of the commentary in between chapters was poorly formatted making it hard at first to tell who was talking and what was going on. I eventually figured out how it was supposed to read and was able to look past it until the final chapters when things were coming to a head.  I could tell it was supposed to read like Macallan and Levi were talking over each other in their narratives but it just seemed really sloppy and confusing. I'm hoping it was just my format.
 
Other than some tiny things I really had no issues with this book.  The characters and storyline really had me hooked and invested in the story. It made me wish for a friendship like theirs.


~ Goodreads ~

3 comments:

  1. I love reading friendship to romance types, I just finished Kasie West's On the Fence last week and ohmygod I'm dead. So. Freaking. Cute. And amazing, which I'm hoping this one is too. Does sound pretty cute, shame about the formatting though, sucks when it happens, like most of Netgalleys do, even on the kindle. :/ Did you buy it? Because I'd send a complaint in, especially because it effects the reading. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! I'm so jealous, I can't wait to get my hands on On The Fence, so glad to hear that you loved it! I did buy it from B&N, always disappointing when I spend money on something and it's messed up!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed this one -- it was cute :)
    Thanks so much for stopping by! Jen @ YA Romantics

    ReplyDelete

Let's Discuss. Leave Your Opinions Here.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...